Maybe..just maybe..I am still worth something..

6:36 AM

 From "My world is upside down.. AGAIN!"

I was finishing tidying up the living room,when the bell rang.
-It must be them-I thought.
I put the last few pillows down on the couch and I started making my way towards the door,trying to keep my excitement at bay.
I opened the door and a few seconds later Sarah  ran towards me and hugged me.
-Nana! -she squealed- Mummy says I can stay with you for a bit. Is that true?
She looked at me with sparkly eyes. 
She was so sweet. I grinned at her.
-It's true.
I held her tighter.
-Hi, Nana- Ashley and Timmy said.
I hugged both of them,tightly.
-Mum said you're gonna help me with my science project..-Timmy said.
I grinned at him.
-I sure will. -I ruffled his hair- Come on..go and leave your backpack somewhere. You,girls too. Come on.
The three of them ran to the living room,leaving me with Laura.
She stepped in and closed the front door behind her. 
-Hi,sweetie. -I said- Come and give me a hug.
-Hi,mum. 
She hugged me and I held her tightly for a few seconds. Then we broke the hug.
I noticed she had a grocery bag in her hands.
-I got your groceries- she said- Shall I leave them in the kitchen?
-Yes,just leave the bag on the kitchen counter. 
I started making my way to the kitchen. Laura followed me.
She put the grocery bag on the counter and I started putting the food away.
-So..how did it go today? -she sat on a counter stool- At the hospital? Did you have fun?
I closed the fridge and I looked at her.
-Yes..I actually had lots of fun. I said hi to Henry and he didn't believe his eyes when he saw me there. -I giggled- He was like: "are you real?".
I had lunch with Aurore..and I even met an old patient of mine.
So yes..it was fun!
-I'm glad.
-You're so sweet.
I opened the pantry and started putting the few other food items away.
-Shall we come back there on Monday again,then?
She sounded so excited. And, for the first time in weeks, I realised I didn't dread the idea. I was actually quite excited at the thought.

About half an hour later,I was reading medical articles at the kitchen counter,when Timmy came in.
-Hi,buddy. - I smiled -What's up?
-I need to start working on my project. -he said -But I have no idea of where to start.
-Don't worry. -I caressed his cheek-  We're gonna figure something out. And it's gonna be amazing.
-I'm not sure...I'm not very good at science,you know..
He got sad. 
-I like it a lot but..I always get B..
-Well..I'm sure this time you'll get A. 
-You think? 
He lit up.
-Of course. - I caressed his cheek again- You're my grandson,after all! Who do you think your aunt and uncle took their brains from?
He gave me a mischievous smile.
-Uhm..Pops?
-Ah,ah,ah. - I pretended to laugh- You're funny,young man. 
I paused.
-I was about to bake some brownies. -I faked a serious tone- But after what you've just said..I don't think you can have any.
-What kind of brownies?
-Nutella brownies.
He lit up.
-Those are my favorite! Mum rarely makes them.
-That's because they're too easy for her. Your mum is too good of a baker to use that recipe. I bet she could make them blindfolded with her hands tied behind her back.
I started closing the journals I had in front of me and I neatly piled them up.
-So..do you wanna help me baking? -I asked Timmy. -That way,in about 45 minutes you'll have a nice study snack.
-Yum! -he licked his lips- Can't wait!
I smiled at him.
-Call your sisters and ask if they want to help as well. -I said- I'll take out the ingredients and such.
-Yes,ma'am.
And he ran out of the kitchen and upstairs calling Ashley and Sarah out loud.
In the meanwhile,I took 2 plastic bowls and the electric beaters out of the cabinet. Since it was an easy recipe that didn't require a lot of mixing..I didn't need my Kitchen Aid.
 I then took two identical brownie pans and some parchment paper. In fact I wanted to make 2 batches of brownies.
Moving on to the actual ingredients,I took Nutella,flour and six eggs.
Then I preheated the oven at 350.
At that moment,the kids came in,Sarah running. 
-Brownies! -she squealed -Yay!!
-Did you kids washed your hands? -I asked them- You need to wash your hands very well before dealing with food.
-I washed my hands! -Timmy said,coming closer to me and showing me his palms- see?
-Good job. - I smiled- Get yourself an apron and crack 3 eggs for me in the red bowl,would you? 
-Nana,I want to help too!! -Sarah pleaded- Please.
-Of course,sweetie. Did you wash your hands?
-No. The sink was too high.
She was upset.
-Mmmm..- I whispered- there should be a little wooden stool in the bathroom. If you climb on it,you get super tall and you can wash your hands.
-I found no stool. 
 -Let's go,baby. -I smiled at her- I'll find it for you.
-I still have to wash my hands. -Ashley interrupted me - I'll go with Sarah. 
She looked at her.
-Let's go,come on.
And they disappeared upstairs. 
I held back a sigh. I was sure she had done in order for me not to do the stairs.
-Eggs cracked. -Timmy's voice- No shell,all clean.
I looked at the bowl.
-Indeed. -I agreed. -Well done.
-What now?
-Take the blue bowl with Nutella and heat in the microwave for 1 minute,30 seconds intervals.
He took the bowl and  did  as told. As soon as the microwave rang,Ashley and Sarah ran into the kitchen.
-Did you girls find the stool? -I asked them.
Sarah came closer to me.
-Yup! -she said- My hands smell all flower-y now! 
-We used the liquid lavender soap. -Ashley said,while putting an apron on- It smells nice.
-It does,uh? -I grinned at her - Come on,let's get to work.
-Me too!! -Sarah pleaded- Me too!
-Of course.  Put an apron on and then and climb on your green stool,so you can reach the counter.
She took a red and white apron and tried to wear it,without succeeding.
-It falls to the ground..-she whined.
I was about to help her tying it behind her neck,when Timmy stopped me.
-That's because you need to tie it behind your neck,you fool...mum tells you all the time.
-I am not a fool! -she snapped at him- Shut up,stupid!
I held back a laugh. 
Five years old,and she already had Laura's temper. The memory of that night of 36 years earlier when she had bitten me was still fresh in my mind..and with that,many others.
She had always been a good kid,like her siblings. 
I couldn't be more proud of her. 
But she did have one flaw:  she didn't have much patience and lose it often.
-I won't allow words such as "fool" "stupid" or "shut up" in this house. -I said,my voice firm - Otherwise no brownies for you. 
I looked at the both of them.
-Apologise to each other,please. And,Timmy..please help her with the apron.
-I'm sorry I called you fool. -Timmy said- Let me help you.
He started tying the apron behind her neck and back.
-I'm sorry I said you are stupid. -Sarah whispered.
-Well done,the both of you. 
I got the red mixing bowl with the eggs closer to me.
-Now,let's get to work.
-What can I do? -Ash asked.
-Crack 3 eggs in the glass bowl near you,please. 
Timmy,can you please sift the flour?
-And me? -Sarah's little voice.
-You and I are gonna beat the eggs so they get all super fluffy and make magic happen in the oven.
-Magic? 
Her eyes were sparkly. 
-Really?
I nodded.

15 minutes later both batches of brownies were in the oven.
We were snacking on leftover batter.
-So... what would you like to make your project on,Timmy? -I asked him. -Do you have any favourite topic among the ones you've covered in class?
He licked some batter off his spoon.
-Mmmm..I'd like to make it on some very important organ in the body.
-Every organ is important,dear. -I noticed,sweetly -Heart? Brain?
-4 of my classmates are making it about the brain,5 are making it about the heart. I wanted to make something different.
-Liver? -Ash suggested,while licking her spoon -It's cool.
-Mmmm... taken already.
I took one dirty bowl to the sink and started washing it with warm,soapy water.
-Pancreas? -I tried again.
He sighed.
-Taken.
-Mmmmm...why don't you..-I started-...
Both Timmy and Ash watched me with curiosity.
-Why don't you make it about blood? -I whispered- Blood is very important. The all body starves without it.
-Mmmm..-he was thinking- None of my friends is making the project on it. 
-So I suppose that's a no. -I whispered,coming back to washing the bowl- What about the lungs? Or maybe the skeletal system?
-Actually blood is pretty cool. -he said,after a while- There are so many different cells in it. And they have all those weird long names. 
My lips curved into a smile.
-Okay. -he went on - Topic picked.
I wanted to jump around the house.
-Yay. -I whispered- We're gonna have loads of fun. 
I put the bowl on the rack to dry. 
Then I turned around to face Timmy.
-Go and take your books. Come on."





































You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images