You...saved me

8:07 AM


LEARNING TO LIVE IN MY UPSIDE DOWN WORLD - PART 1



A faint cry woke me up. When I opened my eyes,it took me a while to realize where I was.
Everything was blurry. 
After a few minutes of blurred vision,I realized I wasn't wearing any glasses or contacts.  
I managed to grab my glasses,placed neatly on what appeared to be a nightstand.
I put them on and everything became clearer.
I saw bouquets of flowers and baskets scattered around the room. My mum's coat was folded in two on a chair near the bed where I was laying. 
I heard the crying another time. I followed the sound and I turned my head around.
It was then that I saw him. 
A baby in a blue onesie was laying in a bassinet near the window. 
He was moving his little fists up in the air,crying angrily. 
Seeing him brought everything back to me.
I had just had a baby..that was why I was in the hospital.
My precious little boy. 
I couldn't believe he was finally there. 
I was pretty sure he was hungry at that moment..I had fed him 2 hours prior,right before drifting off to sleep.
I was still really sore...a lot more than I had been when the girls were born,or,at least,so I recalled.
I had just got up,when my mother came into the room.
-Go back to bed,baby. -she told me in a sweet voice.- You need to rest.
-The baby...he's crying.  I think he's hungry. - I said - I need to nurse him.
She got closer to me and smiled at me.
-Lay down. I'll take him.
-I can do it myself...
-Ssshhh. - she helped me getting comfortable into bed again - I'll take him. 
I unbuttoned my pj shirt and my nursing bra while mum scooped the baby out of his bassinet.
He was still crying.
-Shhh..honey..-she tried to calm him down- Nana's got you. Do you want to go to mama?  Oh..of course you do..
She rocked him back and forth for a little bit and then she gently placed him into my open arms.
-Easy..-she said-..be careful when you hold him..don't hold him too tightly...
-I know,mum..-I smiled-..I know.
She had tears in her eyes.
-I know you do,Betty..sweetheart.-she caressed my cheek -you're gonna have to excuse me..sometimes I forget that you are no longer a little girl. 
She paused.
-Look at you..you're all grown up now.-she sniffed- you're a paediatrician and you've just had your third baby..when did you grow up,uh? Last night,all of a sudden?
I smiled again.
-I love you,mummy.
-I love you too,baby.
The baby started crying louder and moving his little arms and feet randomly in the air.
-Hey..little guy.- I whispered to him- what's going on? -I giggled- Are you mad because mama and Nana aren't talking about you right now?
I kissed the top of his head,gently.
-Mummy loves you so much.
I rocked him for a little bit and his crying started getting weaker. 
-Did you miss me,baby? -I asked him- Uh? Did you miss mama?
 As soon as I started to nurse him,he calmed down.
He was so focused while eating...he had his eyes closed.
-How are the girls doing? -I asked mum- Have you heard anything from anyone yet?
-Melanie told me they were napping when I called her 30 minutes ago. She told them you're at the hospital..-she smiled-.. they think you're working a long shift and they baked cookies and cupcakes for you.
I felt tears in my eyes. Apparently my hormones were still a bit out of whack.
-They're so sweet.- I said- I'll call them as soon as this little man finishes eating. So they can come to meet him.
I fed him for a few more minutes and then I felt him  unlatching.
-Are you done? -I whispered to him with a smile- Apparently you are.
I slowly changed position on the bed so that I could hold him better. Then I started to gently pat him on his back to burp him.
-I can burp him,sweetie.
Mum got closer to me.
- Oh no..-I said-..we're good.
-Let me help you,please. 
She seemed so anxious to help out and make herself useful.
I looked at her first and then at the baby.
-Here...-I whispered to her-...take him.
She held him and she started patting him on his back. 
Then she got up and she started pacing around the room,the baby in her arms,his head resting on her shoulder. She  patted him gently on his back while walking. 
I smiled,to myself.
The baby seemed pretty content..I was pretty sure he would have fallen asleep in a matter of minutes.
-Be careful..-I said, suddenly- He has just eaten..he might spit up...
She stopped and then she smiled at me.
-I've raised 3 kids,baby girl. -she said- I can deal with some spit up. Don't worry.
She winked.
-He might spit up on your sweater and ruin it..just..let me grab a washcloth or something you can put on your shoulder..
-No worries. - she assured me- You know..as a baby,you always used to spit up on your dad's favourite winter coat. There was nothing you enjoyed more than resting your head on his shoulder whilst he was wearing that particular coat..maybe because it was soft or because it had his smell on and it was comforting to you..I don't know. -she chuckled- you've always been such a daddy's girl. 
I smiled. The baby burped loudly.
-Wow.. -I whispered-..he's just a few hours old and he  already burps like a truck driver. I'm gonna have to start teaching him manners ASAP!
Both mum and I laughed.
-You used to do the same. -she told me-..it was scary  because you were very  tiny when you were born. 
-I used to take part to burping contests in college...- I recalled-..I won many of them.
-You sure did. I remember. 
 And Elle walked into the room and she sat on the couch.
-Good evening,Mrs Johnson. -she greeted mum
Mum stopped walking and smiled at her.
-Good evening,dear. How many times do I have to tell you you can call me Violet?
Elle smiled at her in return.
-How are you feeling?-she then asked me.
-Good,thank you. -I said- A little sore still,but nothing major. 
Mum sat on a chair by my side,still holding the baby in her arms. He looked very sleepy.
She looked down at him.
-I think he's about to drift off to sleep. -she said- Look how sleepy he is. 
-The feeding must have drained him...-I went on-..try to put him back in his bassinet..let's see how it goes.
Mum did as told and the baby fell asleep within minutes.
Elle got closer to him and she started studying him.
-He's so cute. -she said- The cutest nephew anyone could wish for.
She looked at him more closely..then she looked at me.
-He looks like you."



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. you have captured the beauty of motherhood and bonding of three generations in a beautiful way!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images